Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Outhouse at Leetonia, en plein air 10"x10"

For the last 5 years our family has been invited to spend Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends at a friend's camp in Leetonia, in northern PA. For me it's time for relaxation, bird watching and painting.

This is my second attempt at this outhouse. I wanted to include some dead trees but was having such a hard time with them that I had to stop and think whether they were important or not. Since the painting is about the outhouse, I decided to leave them out and I'm happy with the results.

I used watercolor paper prepared with Golden's fine pumice gel and iridescent bright gold. The surface doesn't offer as much tooth as regular sanded papers, but it forces me to be more careful with the pastel application.

2 comments:

Donna T said...

Anything can become a good subject - even an outhouse! Nice! I love the fine pumice gel and am waiting for some Heavyweight Rives BFK to play with.

Adriana Meiss said...

Thank you Donna! I have large pieces of gatorboard cut to size and now I'm almost ready to try a "recipe" (it'll be more like trial and error) that includes pumice gel, pumice powder, GAC-200 and aluminum oxide. A friend who tried it says she got a very fine smooth surface with a lot of tooth. I'll let you know if it works.