Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Marina on the Salmon River, 18"x24"

This is one of the large pieces I had in the show last month.

It was a tricky piece from the very beginning because the photo reference was taken during late afternoon on a cloudy day and I wanted to experiment representing midday light and temperature.

Also, I had to get rid of foreground trees and reeds in order to create a more pleasing composition, and later on, I had to subdue the orange tree in the background because it was detracting attention from the boathouse. All in all, I think it works, but it left me with the need to learn more about the colors during midday hours.

3 comments:

hmuxo said...

Beautiful reflections on the water. Great job on this painting!

Donna T said...

Mid day scenes are hard to pull off with the light from above and the tendency for colors to look washed out. I think you did a great job with this one, Adriana. It looks and feels like early afternoon!

Adriana Meiss said...

Hilda and Donna, Thank you! I feel it still needs something but I cannot put my finger on it.