Monday, May 23, 2011

Redbuds, en plein air, 9" x12"

This is my 3rd plein air painting this year, and so far, the only one I'm happy with.

One thing my 1st one taught me was to paint the center of interest right away. I wanted a blooming peach tree among the delicate green of leafing apple trees, but the painting ended up being about the old, tall house behind my orchard because that's where I started!

I'm not sure exactly what my 2nd has taught me... Everything came out being too colorful, so perhaps to beware of painting under complete shade when your subject is in full sun? I just hope to get the chance to practice some more this year.

This wonderful garden in the middle of a city block belongs to my friend Parmalee and her husband. The garden is the setting for her photographs.

7 comments:

Adriana Meiss said...

Thank you Donnie! I'm glad you liked it!

hmuxo said...

This is definitely a beautiful setting for this painting Adriana! Love the rich pinks you used and you did an amazing job with shadowing. This is one of my favorites...however, I love all your paintings.

Donna T said...

Beautiful spring painting, Adriana! I'll have to try painting the center of interest first. I get distracted with less important areas and then the light changes!

Judie said...

Adriana, I would like to post one of your pastels on my blog with a link back to your site. Please get back to me on this.

Thanks. Your work is excellent!!

Adriana Meiss said...

Hilda, Thank you. You are so sweet, but you have not seen my duds!
Donna,Thank you! Painting the focal area right away seems to work for me because I too get distracted with other things. I have also stopped trying to match the colors I see, using instead those that would give a better idea of what I'm trying to paint.
JudieThank you! You are welcome to do that. Thank you for asking. I'll email you.

Crystal Cook said...

That is a beautiful plein air piece! I love the colors in that tree, sometimes every winter I forget how beautiful they can be in the spring. :) Glad I found your blog.

Adriana Meiss said...

Crystal, Thank you for your comment and for following. To me spring wouldn't be the same without redbuds.