Sunday, September 25, 2011

Gerry Lake, en plein air, 16x12"

This painting was done over a year ago at Gerry Lake near Oxford, NY, when another friend an I joined the Colorscape Chenango Plein Air Painters of Central New York for a day of painting.

I have recently reworked some areas that were bothering me, and lightened the color of the trees. Because this was done on a coarsely prepared board, toned with red, I had to be careful of not clogging the tooth too much. This kind of surface gives the work an unfinished quality that I like.

On a different note, I have to confess that I did not paint at all this past week simply because my studio has become a mess. It's bad when you can't find colors you know you have. I wish I was the kind of person who uses a pastel stick and puts it back where it belongs after each use. But no; mine end up in an dirty pile and now I'm paying for it. It's a very bad habit that I need to get under control. This coming week my goal is to neaten my working area and rearrange my pastels in a way that should make it easier to keep clean and organized.

3 comments:

hmuxo said...

Love ...Love this painting Adriana. The reflections on the water is amazing! as well as the lovely colors. I take my pastels out and never put them back where they belong. Then I regret it! I am trying to be a bit more organized since it makes painting easier!...let's try together!

Jessica Brown said...

Love this painting - absolutely gorgeous :)

Jess x cantshutitup.blogspot.com

Adriana Meiss said...

Hilda, Thank you. I think that part of the reason for the mess is that my pastels are in an area that doesn't receive enough light, so I end up picking one stick after another until I find what I'm looking for. Let me know if something works for you, I might have to give it a try too.
Jessiemann, Thank you for your comment!