Friday, February 17, 2012

The View from Henneberry Rd.12x18"

I found this painting in a pile of unfinished work. It was done on location two years ago, and at the time I didn't like how dark the foreground trees were.

Even though they are much lighter now, I'm aware that they can still be lighten some more without the scene losing the late-evening mood. I glazed the distant hills with hard pastels, added ochers to the middle ground trees, and darkened the foreground flowers and grasses to create a better feeling of distance. That seem to have done the trick! I think I'll be working on creating other paintings from this scene.

BTW, La Carte paper is my favorite sanded paper for plein air painting. It's not as hard on your fingers, as other sanded papers, and when you need to glaze, the pastel seems to go so smoothly.

3 comments:

Donna T said...

Really nice Adriana. It looks so much like orangey late afternoon light. You do the best pines!

hmuxo said...

A beautiful pastel painting, Adriana. I love the subtle colors...thanks for the tip on the paper...I've never tried La carte sanded paper...I'll give it a try..!

Adriana Meiss said...

Donna, When I painted this on location clouds were moving in, and at the end of the session the mood of the painting was quite somber. It didn't look that appealing in the studio so I decided for a different mood. I guess I'm not a purist plein air painter. Thank you for the comments.
Hilda, Thank you! I hope you get to try that paper soon and get to like it too.