Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Panoramic View, 9" x12" SOLD

This is another view from Highland Forest Park. With this painting I was trying to learn some more about aerial perspective and about the different colors of the snow.

I posted it on Wet Canvas where several members shared interesting thoughts with me. One was whether a crop was in order or not. The almost half and half composition here is viewed as a no-no, so I was considering reducing the sky area. But then, other members pointed out a few things that made me realize the sky was a key element and that decided me to leave it as it was. I just hope no one will ever ask me to use this painting in a book in order to illustrate " Things artists should avoid."

I love panoramic scenes. The feeling of big open space is liberating and humbling at the same time. Invariably, while I feast on the view, I hear a voice whispering "you're just a tiny spec on this earth" , and I always reply, "but one who's enjoying the moment."

4 comments:

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Adriana, this turned out just beautiful. I love your sky and the composition.

PastelGuy said...

My 2 cents: Paintings are always a message from the artist. What is it that you are trying to convey? By your posting, I would say that it's the vastness that drew you to paint it in the first place. If so, then what you have works perfectly. If your message to the viewers is the tire tracks and the hills, then the bottom third-ish would work better, and would still be a great painting. I covered all but the bottom third-sh, which takes out most of the sky, and let my senses absorb it. Then I took my hand away, and POW! All of a sudden it became a huge vista, which actually made more of an impact on me than the closeness of the cropping.

Cat-in-a-Box said...

I was waiting for you to post this!! I saw it on WC and I read all the comments - but I have to say that this piece evoked an immediate feeling.

It reminded me of being young and going to the highest point in my local neighborhood and looking at it from a new perspective. I felt like I was looking over 'home'. My home was a small city - not farmland, so I'm not relating on a representational level. It's more like seeing your home (as a kid the center of your universe and in this painting represented by the little farm) in the context of a much bigger world.

Well, that's just my thoughts. I think you've captured something wonderful in this one!

Adriana Meiss said...

Donna, Matthew, and Pam, thank you for your comments. In the future I'll trust more my gut feelings!