Saturday, January 31, 2009

Quiet Night, 9"x7" SOLD


This morning I got this painting out of the drawer with the purpose of photographing it for my records, but while I was at it, I noticed a few things that were bothering me. So I got to work and it's now officially finished. I have found that it's much easier to see what needs to be done with a painting if I take photos of it.

This is the view looking east from my backyard. The main street that bisects the city is on the other side of the tall houses. I worked from a photo I took a year ago, and remember being surprised at the time for having captured the color of the sky with my camera. I emphasized the color in the painting to convey a surreal mood.

I was going to title it Winter Moon, but considering that my neighborhood is truly quiet only when it rains or when it's a cold winter night, I thought the present title was more appropriate.

3 comments:

Donna T said...

I love this, Adriana, and can feel the cold stillness. You truly captured the quiet feel - which must be relatively rare in your populated area. This looks much larger than 9x7!

Betsy said...

Beautiful Nightscene Adrianna Im glad you dug it out of the closet to finish!

Adriana Meiss said...

Donna , I'm glad you think I have captured that feeling. Quietness is indeed very rare around here. Last summer we were having BBQ in the backyard, it was already dark, and all of a sudden we all became aware of how quiet it got. It did not last for long, but just enough to appreciate the sound of insects.
As of lately I've been painting no larger than 11"x14".

Betsy Thank you! My drawer is piling up with paintings. Very soon I'll have to decide what to do with them...